Atlantic Hurricane Season
The Atlantic Hurricane season runs from June 1- November 30th. We have one month left. There were a number of tropical depressions this year, with Hurricane Michael being the most severe Hurricane and Weather event along the East Coast this year. It is SO important to insure safety before, during and after a hurricane emergency. Please see the tips below from ready.gov on how to prepare BEFORE for Hurricane Emergencies.
IF YOU ARE UNDER A HURRICANE WARNING, FIND SAFE SHELTER RIGHT AWAY
- Determine how best to protect yourself from high winds and flooding.
- Evacuate if told to do so.
- Take refuge in a designated storm shelter, or an interior room for high winds.
- Listen for emergency information and alerts.
- Only use generators outdoors and away from windows.
- Turn Around, Don’t Drown! Do not walk, swim, or drive through flood waters.
- Know your area’s risk of hurricanes.
- Sign up for your community’s warning system. The Emergency Alert System (EAS) and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Weather Radio also provide emergency alerts.
- If you are at risk for flash flooding, watch for warning signs such as heavy rain.
- Practice going to a safe shelter for high winds, such as a FEMA safe room or ICC 500 storm shelter. The next best protection is a small, interior, windowless room in a sturdy building on the lowest level that is not subject to flooding.
- Based on your location and community plans, make your own plans for evacuation or sheltering in place.
- Become familiar with your evacuation zone, the evacuation route, and shelter locations.
- Gather needed supplies for at least three days. Keep in mind each person’s specific needs, including medication. Don’t forget the needs of pets.
- Keep important documents in a safe place or create password-protected digital copies.
- Protect your property. Declutter drains and gutters. Install check valves in plumbing to prevent backups. Consider hurricane shutters. Review insurance policies.
When the Emergency and threat is over, and safety can be insured, we can begin to rebuild and mitigate damage. SERVPRO with over 1,700 Franchises Nationwide will be there READY for Whatever Happens.
Learn More: https://www.ready.gov/hurricanes