Water Damage: What to do First
When discovering water damage in your home or business it can be very stressful. Water damage can happen from a number of things: Washer Hose Breaking, Pipe Break, Refrigerator Ice Maker line breaking, Flood damage, Toilet overflow or backup, Roof leak, sprinkler system going off, just to name a few. But then where do you begin as a property owner?
Step One: Stop the source of water if possible, or contact a qualified party to do so
Step Two: Call SERVPRO!
What you can do while we are on our way:
- Remove as much excess water as possible, by mopping or blotting
- Wipe away excess water on wood surfaces, table tops
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs of wet carpeting
- Remove to a safe, dry place any paintings, art objects, documents or items that are sensitive to moisture
Always Remember safety first! If you are not physically able to take on the above measures, it will be ok, our Team will be there to help!
What to avoid doing:
- Do not enter rooms with standing water where electrical hazards may be present
- Do not use water damaged appliances
- Do not use ceiling light fixtures if the ceiling is wet
When our Team arrives we will make an assessment of the affected areas and start mitigating the water damage as soon as possible to avoid further damage from happening such as warped flooring, mold damage and musty odors.